The Sparkman & Stephens-designed yawl COMET was ordered by Chicago businessman and lawyer John P. Wilson.
Work on the build was delayed by WWII and didn’t begin until 1946 at the Henry C. Grebe Yard in Chicago. Sold upon Wilson’s death in 1960, she remained on the Great Lakes until 1977 when purchased by William A. Stout. In 1997, she was sold to Howard Park who took her on a 3-year circumnavigation. In 2003, COMET’s new owner Peter wood, had her transported to the UK, to the Gweek Quay Boatyard in Cornwall where she was restored. After 15 months and re-named COMETA, she was relaunched in June 2004 by Olin Stephens himself. The vessel has been in the Mediterranean Sea since. In 2008, Peter Wood sold her to Richart Herbert who sold her to Roderick Galantay in 2012, when she was renamed COMET.