On behalf of the Spanish Royal Sailing Federation (Real Federación Española de Vela, RFEV), Barcelona Royal Yacht Club (Real Club Náutico de Barcelona, RCNB) is organizing the 15th edition of the PUIG VELA CLÀSSICA BARCELONA Regatta for Vintage, Classic, and Big Boats, sponsored by Puig.
The 15th PUIG VELA CLÀSSICA BARCELONA Regatta is an event within the official calendar of the RFEV that counts towards the 12th Mare Nostrum Trophy – Spanish Cup for Classic Boats.
2. LOCATION AND DATES
The 15th PUIG VELA CLÀSSICA BARCELONA Regatta will take place in the waters of Barcelona between July 13 and 16, 2022.
3.1 The regatta will be governed by the following rules:
- The World Sailing Racing Rules of Sailing 2021-2024 (RRS).
- The current International Mediterranean Committee (IMC) Regulations governing measurement, and classic and vintage boat regattas, and the annexes thereto.
- The regulations of the RFEV, available at: https://www.rfev.es/default/reglamentos/index/id/41.
- International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea.
- The RFEV Technical Regulations for Cruising Yachts 2021-2024, available at: https://www.rfev.es/uploaded_files/Document_5206_20210107101531_es.pdf.
- The World Sailing Offshore Special Regulations governing offshore racing, category 4.
- Article 90.3(e)(3) of the RRS shall be applicable.
- Between the official hours of sunset and sunrise, the rules of part 2 of the RRS shall be replaced with part B of the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea.
- The notation [NP] in the rules governing this regatta means that infringement of this rule shall not be protested by boats [this amends R 60.1(a) of the RRS].
- Protocols and measures to be adopted with regard to COVID-19 in accordance with regulations that will be applied at the time of the event, in keeping with the guidelines of the Spanish Royal Sailing Federation, the Civil Protection Committee of Catalonia (PROCICAT), the State Secretariat for Sport, and the Catalan Sailing Federation in force when the event is held. These shall be published on the regatta website at least two months before the event itself.
- [NP] [DP] Racers and support crew alike must follow all reasonable instructions issued by regatta officials.
3.2 In the event of any discrepancy between the languages, the Spanish text shall prevail.
4. ELIGIBILITY & ADVERTISING
4.1 Participants must comply with the provisions set forth in the World Sailing Eligibility Code (Regulation 19).
4.2 Participants of Spanish nationality or with legal residence in Spain, or those competing on boats assigned to a Spanish club should be in possession of a 2022 federation qualified sportsperson license.
4.3 Boats displaying individual advertising must be granted prior authorization from their national authority, where required.
4.4 Boats may be required to display advertising chosen and supplied by the organizing authority. If this rule is breached, rule 20.9.2 of the World Sailing Regulations shall be applied [DP].
5. PARTICIPATING CLASSES
The 15th PUIG VELA CLÀSSICA BARCELONA Regatta is open to the following categories:
- Vintage boats: boats launched on or before December 31, 1949 and built according to the criteria set out in the IMC Regulations.
- Classic boats: boats launched between January 1, 1950 and December 31, 1975 and built according to the criteria set out in the IMC Regulations.
- Big boats: vintage and classic boats with a length of 23 meters or more. At least 3 boats should be registered in order to form a group.
5.2 The Organizing Committee can sub-divide the classic and vintage boat categories into classes. Thes sub-divided classes shall be based on the type of rigging, APM and length, always according to the criteria of the Organizing Committee and provided there are at least 3 boats in the specific class (IMC, article 17).
6.1 Registrations must be formalized using the attached form.
6.2 The registration fees for the regatta are as follows:
- For boats equal to or longer than 23 meters: € 510
- Between 22.99 and 20 meters: € 380
- Between 19.99 and 15 meters: € 330
- Between 14.99 and 12 meters: € 275
- For boats shorter than 12 meters: € 230
(Fees are VAT exempt when chargeable to natural persons)
6.3 Registration fees shall be settled by bank transfer to Real Club Náutico de Barcelona, specifying the name of the boat and the event. They shall be paid into the following account:
Bank name: Banco Sabadell Atlántico
Bank office: Pla de Palau
Account number: 0081-0163-61-0001988006
6.4 Registrations must be sent to the following address, along with a photocopy of a valid IMC measurement certificate and a photocopy of a receipt of the deposit or transfer, before July 1, 2022:
REAL CLUB NÁUTICO DE BARCELONA
Muelle de España s/n
The Organizing Committee reserves the right to accept registrations after this date.
6.5 It shall be incumbent on the representative of each boat to send an email message in order to check that the registration has been successfully submitted to the Organizing Committee.
6.6 Participants must confirm their registration by signing up with the Regatta Office before 8:00 pm on July 13, and the following documents should also be submitted:
- A copy of a valid insurance policy covering civil liability (damage to third parties and property), or an increase in third party damage and civil liability cover to reach a minimum amount of €601,012.
- A copy of the receipt of the direct debit payment for the valid insurance policy.
- A copy of the IMC measurement certificate, valid for 2022.
- A list of the crew members with identity cards and an onshore contact number (to be filled in at the Regatta Office).
- In the case of Spanish crew members or those sailing on a boat assigned to a Spanish club and who are legally resident in Spain, a valid state federation sportsperson license. Foreign crew members who are not in possession of a federation license must provide a copy of their passport at the Regatta Office during the period for signing up.
- A duly completed and signed registration form.
- The Sailing Declaration (IMC Regulations, article 15) to be filled in at the Regatta Office.
- Authorization from the relevant national authority in order to display advertising, if applicable.
- A statement showing compliance with the specific rules in effect with regard to Covid-19 in accordance with current regulations that will be applied at the time of the event and/or any other documentation that must be submitted, in accordance with the guidelines of the Spanish Royal Sailing Federation, the Civil Protection Committee of Catalonia (PROCICAT), the State Secretariat for Sport, and the Catalan Sailing Federation in force when the event is held.
6.7 [NP] After 8:00 pm on July 13, the Organizing Committee shall not accept any registration that has been made without submitting the valid IMC certificate to the Regatta Office (this amends rule 78.2 of the RRS).
7.1 The sports program shall take place as shown as follows:
7.2 Three races are programmed, and no more than two races per day may be held. At least one race must be completed in order to receive the award of winner in the 15th PUIG VELA CLÀSSICA BARCELONA Regatta in each of the participating classes established.
7.3 The regatta instructions will be available from Wednesday, July 13 on the regatta website.
Courses shall be detailed in the regatta instructions.
9. INSPECTIONS & MEASUREMENT (NP) (DP)
All participating boats may be required by the Technical Committee to undergo measurement inspections and checks. Any boat may be checked at any time before, during, and after the regatta.
10.1 The Low Point System of Appendix A of the RRS shall be used.
10.2 The final score for each boat shall be the total of all her points.
There will be a classification for each category and/or class established.
12. SAFETY (NP)(DP)
12.1 The safety of this regatta shall be in line with category 4 according to the World Sailing Offshore Special Regulations governing offshore racing. The courses to be navigated are type C (according to rule 18 of the IMC).
12.2 All boats will need to be fitted with a VHF radio with channel 16 and the official communication channels used for the regatta.
12.3 It is mandatory for all participating boats to use their own motor when navigating around the waters in the Port of Barcelona and for them to respect the regulations governing navigation in said port.
12.4 It shall be incumbent on the vessel owner or the individual responsible for each boat to adhere to the general and special legal regulations envisaged for pleasure boats when it comes to the government, administrative formalities, and safety of the vessels.
12.5 The use of drones (RPAS) by support staff or crew is prohibited at all times within the premises of Barcelona Royal Yacht Club.
13. AWARDS AND SOCIAL CEREMONIES
The list of awards will be published on the official notice board.
The award ceremony will take place once the general classifications have been published on Saturday July 16, 2022.
Other ceremonies may be organized while the event is being held. Any programming in this regard will be announced on the official notice board.
Registered boats that are taking part in the races with a home port outside Catalonia will benefit from a berth free-of-charge, except for costs, at Barcelona Royal Yacht Club between July 1 and 31, 2022.
Registered boats that are taking part in the races with a home port in Catalonia will benefit from a berth free-of-charge, except for costs, at Barcelona Royal Yacht Club between July 9 and 23, 2022.
Berths provided by the organizers during the above-mentioned dates must be used under the full responsibility of the owner or skipper of each participating boat.
On all other days during the month of July and until August 31, boats taking part in the 15th PUIG VELA CLÀSSICA BARCELONA Regatta 2022 will benefit from special discounts.
Boats escorting registered participants that apply for a berth at the club will need to pay applicable berthing fees to Barcelona Royal Yacht Club if there are spaces available
15. [NP] IMAGE RIGHTS
15.1 Image rights relating to the regatta are solely and exclusively owned by the RCNB, the RFEV and Puig. Any advertising campaign that does not benefit from express authorization from the RCNB, the RFEV and Puig shall be prohibited.
15.2 Participants shall grant authorization to the sponsor(s) and the organizing authority for their name and image, or that of the boat with which they are taking part, to be used in any text, photograph, or video montage to be published or broadcast via any medium (including the press, TV advertising, or the Internet) as part of editorial comments, information, or publicity. Moreover, the name and biographies of participants may be used or broadcast via any known medium.
15.3 Participants undertake not to carry out or allow any act of reproduction, public disclosure, or distribution of images of the sailing contest without prior permission from Barcelona Royal Yacht Club.
15.4 Any advertising campaign not linked to the event sponsor, the clubs, and the Organizing Committee – carried out by participants, their sponsors, or individuals, entities and organizations directly or indirectly linked to them, and undertaken on the premises of the club or on the pontoons provided – will require prior written permission from the organizing authority.
15.5 Failure to comply with this rule will entail automatic exclusion from the competition for the boat bearing the advertising subject to the action. Moreover, the participant will not be reimbursed for any fees paid for registration to the regatta.
16. DECLARATION OF RISK
16.1 On account of its nature, sailing is an unpredictable sport and, as a result, one that intrinsically entails an element of risk. Racers and support crews taking part in this regatta do so under their own risk. Particular attention should be drawn to RRS 3, DECISION TO RACE, which stipulates: “The responsibility for a boat’s decision to participate in a race or to continue racing is hers alone.” By taking part in this regatta, participants accept and acknowledge as follows:
16.2 They are aware of the inherent element of risk involved in the sport and they accept liability for exposing themselves, their crew and their boat to said risk when taking part in the regatta.
16.3 They shall be responsible for the safety of themselves, their crew, their boat and any other property at sea or ashore.
16.4 They accept liability for any injury, damage or loss to the extent that the same are caused by their own actions or omissions.
16.5 By taking part in any race, they acknowledge that their boat is in excellent condition, that it complies with the rules in terms of classes and that it is ready to sail in the regatta and able to take part.
16.6 The provision of the physical and human resources of the regatta committee, security boats, judges and other officials, as well as the organization’s volunteers, shall not entail the release of participants from their own responsibilities.
16.7 The physical resources of the organization’s security boats shall be limited to assistance and rescue operations only, particularly in extreme weather conditions.
16.8 Each vessel owner or individual responsible for each boat must be aware of any rule and information published in relation to the venue/regatta and must attend any safe- ty briefing concerning the venue/regatta held during the event.
Barcelona, January 2022