- 55 vessels have already secured their participation from the 12th to the 15th of July in this tenth edition
- Faithful sailboats to the competition like the Alba, the Yanira or the Moonbeams III and IV, among others, will take part in this current edition together with other legends like the Almarán New York
- This edition will count for the first time on emblematic boats such as the French Sagitarius, the Italians Moro de Venezia I and the Corsario II -belonging to the Italian Navy- as well as the Maltese Xarifa or the Uruguayan Fjord III
Less than 48 hours before starting the expected tenth edition of the Barcelona Puig Vela Classica, the regatta is proud to celebrate that this year the record of participation has been the highest of its entire story, with 55 boats registered. This high number corroborates the international importance the Barcelona Puig Vela Classica regatta has been acquiring over the years to position itself as one of the most important circuits of classic boats in the Mediterranean.
The competition, which will be held from the 12th to the 15th of July at the Real Club Náutico of Barcelona (RCNB), has the presence of boats that have sailed in the regatta since its very beginnings, as the Classics Alba, Yanira or Guia, among others, or the Big Boats Moonbeam III and IV.
Besides, in this special edition there will be many legends competing for the first time in the waters of Barcelona. Among them we can find the French sailboat Sagitarius, the Il Moro of Venezia I and the Corsario II -belonging to the Italian Navy- that will compete in the category of Classics. Concerning to the Uruguayan Fjord III, which counts with the prestigious naval architect Germán Frers Junior among its crew, will compete for the first time in the category Époque. And the impressive Xarifa, will compete, under the flag of Malta, with its almost 50 meters of length in the Big Boats category.
All these boats, coming from England, France, Argentina, Italy, etc., will sail offering a magnificent staging of pure maritime tradition in this tenth edition of the Barcelona Puig Vela Classica regatta.
The categories of the competition are as follows:
• Época: Ships made of wood or metal launched before the 31st of December of 1949.
• Classics: Built in wood or metal according to the original drawings and launched between the 1st of January of 1950 and the 31st of December of 1975.
• Big Boat: Época and Classic boats with length from 25 meters.
A show in the sea and at the Marítim Museum of Barcelona
On the occasion of this tenth anniversary, the Marítim Museum of Barcelona will host until the next 16th of July “Con la fuerza del viento” (With the force of the wind) a photographic exhibition that celebrates the ten years of this sporting event. This unique exhibit brings the essence of classic world sailing to Barcelona through the best photographs of the boats that have participated in the competition since its inception in 2008.
The exhibition, which can be visited for free until the 16th of July, shows 30 large-format images taken by Nico Martínez, a photographer with international prestige who, from the beginning of the event, has been able to capture with his objective the best moments of the competition as well as boats that exceed one hundred years of history. Also noteworthy are the images of Alfred Farré and Luis Fernández, winner and finalist of the international contest Mirabaud Yacht Racing Image in 2014 and in 2016, respectively. Awards recognized as the Oscars of nautical photography.